Gastric bypass is a surgery in which the stomach size is reduced, this is done to make you feel satisfied with small portions of food, you feel full quickly and eat less, by eating less you lose weight quickly. It is ideal if morbid
obesity shows that is putting your health at risk and no diet has worked for you, but like any major surgery has risks and possible complications.
Gastric bypass technique consists into connect the intestine directly to the small stomach, this in order to enhance weight loss results, and are even better than with the Gastric Band.
Ideal candidates are those who are considered:
- Obese individuals who have already trying other methods to lose weight and nothing worked.
- IMC (Índice de masa corporal)por arriba de 40
- Men who have more than 45 kilos (99.21 lb) overweight than it should be your ideal weight.
- Mujeres que tiene más de 36 kilos de exceso de peso de lo que debería ser su peso ideal
- If you have a BMI of 35 and above suffer from a disease because of obesity that puts their health at risk.
- People with overweight or moderately obese, are not considered candidates for this surgery, this procedures is designed to lose large amounts of weight.
Health Benefits of Gastric Bypass:
- Improves the following conditions: Diabetes mellitus, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, asthma, gastritis, obstructive apnea in 80% of the cases. (1)
- Improves low back pain, arthritis, and depression from 50 to 70%.
How much weight can you expect to lose with a gastric bypass?
In the first year after surgery you can expect to los 41 to 60% of the extra weight.
After reaching the highest point of weight loss up to 80% , patients may start to gain some weight.
Ventajas del bypass gástrico:
Gastric Bypass is considered one of the surgeries with more benefits than risks and complications. Among the main advantages of selecting this type of surgery, are:
- Weight loss in patients from 70% to 80%
- Along with the weight loss that occurs gradually, you can have an improvement in other conditions such as joint pain, sleep apnea, gastric reflux.
- Reduce the likelihood of heart disease
- Provides better quality of life to people
- It is considered one of the best bariatric techniques with favorable results
- It is minimally invasive, since is only done through small incisions in the abdomen.